Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Tuesday
We met with Gold Foundation(a womens group) and went to a small village to see what kind of help they need. The people there are friendly and VERY religious. I am excited to go to there village and teach them everything we have to offer. In the afternoon we built our first adobe stove, it was lots of work. My favorite part was making the clay because we got to stomp it with our feet :) I learned that Fijian women are very strong while too!
We have a Fijian cook and she makes the best roti and curry dinners ever, I love it!

Wednesday we went to the hospital near by to see what help we could give them and started clearing some land for their garden. We are planning to paint the childrens ward in the hospital to make it brighter and happier along with some other changes to help things run more smoothly there. After our team meeting I was appointed project lead over teaching fitness and music. Some of the other projects my team is working on that I will be helping with is nutrition, square foot gardens, teaching in schools, business lessons, health and more that I will further explain as we get our projects going.

Thursday we worked again on the hospital garden. Mom and Dad thank you for teaching me to work hard in the garden when I was young because it has really helped me here :) Later today I will be meeting with Irene with Golds Foundation to talk about going to villages to teach fitness, nutrition and health classes. She is also going to teach us how to make some delicious Indian food :)

3 comments:

Phillip said...

Now you're building adobe stoves...not just fixing them? How long did that take? Is there a lot of clay in the soil there? Roti and curry hhmmmmm...I had that a lot on my mission. What do you plan to teach by way of music and fitness?

Teresa and Tyler Service said...

I can't wait for you to make some Indian food for us. And an adobe stove...just kidding. Good job on getting the project lead. You will be great. I'm excited to heard more

Sherry said...

It took us about 3 hours to build the adobe stove but they have to wait a few months for it to dry before they can use it. Yes I will have to make some yummy Indian food for you.
For the fitness I am kind of combining with the health and nutrition leads to teach the importance and benefit of exercise then I am also going to teach some routines kind of like a fitness/aerobic class :)
For music we will most likely be teaching songs with actions to kids and a girl in the ward here wants to learn the piano.