Monday, May 10, 2010

First couple of days

Saturday, the day I arrived in Fiji, our team walked around and became more familiar with the town, bought food and went to the beach for a couple hours. I had the best sleep ever that night even though I was on a small foam pad.

Sunday was wonderful and I loved going to church with the people. My favorite song we sang was "There is Sunshine in my Soul Today" and you could really tell there was sunshine in everyone's soul by the way they sang. It was amazing how attending church really lifted my own spirits and rejuvenated me from my jet lag :)

Monday we rode the bus to Lautoka where we met with an organization called FRIEND that we will be partnering with. We were also introduced to a Doctor who is amazing and I really want to volunteer with him. He is and Indian but is from the States and he works there for 3 months then goes to Fiji and India to volunteer for 9 months. You can really feel the love he has for the people here and is doing a lot of good in the world. When we got back to Tavua we pulled weeds in the Methodist's church yard. Now these are not your normal weeds, I am in Fiji where it is very lush and pretty much jungle in most places so the weeds were very thick.

This morning and Monday morning I got up early and went running with some of my team members, it is so beautiful. I went running in Fiji!! I have never sweat so much in my life on a run. Another thing about Fiji is that I am always sticky and wet, there is no way to escape the sweat so I just embrace it. :) Today we will be helping fix an adobe stove and go to some other villages to make contacts and do needs assessments.
I promise I will post pictures soon!

4 comments:

Julie Rowse said...

Isn't the humidity fun?! So worth it if it means you get to live on an island. I miss the slow-paced Island life so much sometimes. Glad to FINALLY be able to read about your adventures. It already sounds like you're enjoying it.

Sherry said...

yes, its hard work but its well worth it :)

Phillip said...

Oh, I remember the "sticky" days while in Singapore. Humidity is a killer. Each day sounds so busy. Are adobe stoves common there? So, you like roti and curry do you? That was one of my favorites too. Keep posting and upload pics soon. Good luck with everything. Be sure to keep a journal of these experiences!

Sherry said...

yes I write in my journal every day. Adobe stoves are not common here which is why we are teaching them. I will post more information on them. And yes I love roti and curry!! I always eat a ton when our cook makes it.